|School of Psychiatry|
Cornwall Partnership Trust
- 12 places for specialist/core trainees in Psychiatry, recognised and approved by the Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- 1 place for Foundation Year 1
- 3 places for Foundation year 2
- 3 places recognised for training in General Practice
- 6 places for STR/SpR Higher Trainees
In Patient Units
- Bodmin Hospital - this is a purpose built Private Finance Initiative (PFI) Unit. It has 23 acute mental illness beds on the Fletcher/Bowman Ward, 20 beds on Garner Ward for older adults with organic conditions, a Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit, Harvest Ward and a Recovery Ward Fettle Ward. It has a minor injury unit and a community hospital and private treatment unit on site.
- Longreach Mental Health Unit - this is also a PFI Hospital, purpose built in 2003. It houses 30 acute psychiatric beds in Bay Ward and 20 beds for older adults with organic illness in Cove Ward. The unit includes a 'Place of Safety' Suite for assessment of patients apprehended by police under Section 136 of the 1983 Mental Health Act. The Have Unit provides a therapeutic environment for patients admitted to the ward and immediately post discharge. The Camborne-Redruth Community Hospital site also has a minor injury unit and community beds.
- Royal Cornwall Hospital
- Josiah Thomas Memorial Hall
- Tolvean House
- Bolitho House
- Alexandra House
- 57 Pydar Street
- Trevillis House
Medical Staffing Contact
Example of a Cornwall Partnership Trust, Core Training short job description and timetable
|POST: CT1 GENERAL ADULT AND OLD AGE PSYCHIATRY|
General Adult Psychiatry: Longreach House, Redruth (west rota)
General Adult Psychiatry: Bodmin Hospital, Bodmin (east rota)
Old Age Psychiatry: Longreach House, Redruth (west rota)
|Overview of team||
Core Trainee (CT1)
+ Specialist Registrar
Ward based nursing staff, occupational therapists
Community Psychiatric Nurses + Occupational therapists + Psychologist + social worker in the Community Team
|Nature of Duties||
Core assessment and physical evaluation of new admisions.
Review of mental state of inpatients and leave patients.
Acute and on-going physical care of psychiatric inpatients.
Outpatient clinics, home visits in the community.
Out of hours owrk in hospital and accident and emergency department.
|Typical working week||
9am - 5pm : Monday to Friday with on call rota out of hours.
(Bodmin - east rota 1:9; Longreach - west rota 1:10)
Banding to be confirmed prior to commencing post.
Teaching and training Wednesday mornings.
Attendance at MRCPsych course in Plymouth on Fridays.
|Typical post related clinical skills opportunities||
Psychiatric assessment, mental state examination, cognitive assessment
Assessing and managing suicide risk
Using the Mental Health Act
Multi-disciplinary team working
Opportunity to do home visits in the community
|In-house Teaching||Psychiatric trainees have in house teaching sessions weekly on Wednesday mornings at Bodmin Hospital or in Newquay, including the Journal Club, Case Presentations, Psychotherapy and external speakers.|
Induction for Cornwall Partnership Trust
Therapeutic Management of Aggression and Violence - breakaway techniques
Lone Worker Training
Immediate Life Support
Administration of electro-convulsive therapy (ECT)
|Audit Opportunities||Participation and presentation encouraged. Support from Audit Department|